Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Legend Of Jon Jones


Jon Jones. Or more specifically, Jon "Bones" Jones. Remember that name because I predict that the simple name Jon Jones would one day go down in the annals of MMA history. I ain't jumpin' on any Jon Jones hype train or what not(I've hopped in the war wagon a long time ago). I knew how good this guy is, and it got verified ever since I saw him do a spinning back elbow strike on a fallen Stephan Bonnar. It was actually the first time that I've seen that kind of strike(I think that shit only happens in video games).

I actually saw Anderson Silva do an upward spinning elbow when he was still in Cage Rage, but he wasn't doin' it while fallin' down on an opponent. That's how good this young buck is. The scary part is that he just turned 23. Freakery!

The UFC should stop throwin' wrestlers at this guy. We all thought Matt Hamill was the better wrestler. Looked at what happened. Jon Jones may have lost(due to the 12-6 elbow strikes to Matt's head), but he was winning that fight. for me, that loss means shit.

Brandon Vera was supposed to be the better wrestler when he was faced with Jones. He was also supposed to be the more technical striker. Look at what happened to Vera. Another disappointing loss.

And now, Matyushenko was supposed to be Jon Jones' toughest test. Though for me, the Brandon Vera dismantling was Jon Jones' comin' out party. Well goin' back, they all said that Matyushenko's experience will surely give Jon Jones a run for his money. They all should've thought otherwise.

Bones just wrestled Matyushenko with ease. He outstruck him too prior to that(obviously, just as expected). Then after some scrambling and grapplilng, Bones caught The Janitor(the Matyushenko moniker, which is easier to type)in a crucifix position. Now for me the crucifix and the full nelson are the rarest grappling positions that fighters end up in. And here was Jones stickin' it to The Janitor with relative ease!

After the trappage(wherein The Janitor's head was trapped in an undefendable[if there even is such a word]position), Jones then proceeded to dish some vicious elbows to Matyushenko's head. Poor Janitor. Ref Herb Dean wouldn't allow that kind of punishment to unnecessarily continue, he promptly stopped the fight.

Knowing that Bones was a former JUCO national wrestling champ, the UFC should now just throw him a top 5er. I know they're trying to slowly build him up because Jones is still young, but I guess it's time. This kid is just too dang good!

Cheers to the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment