Sunday, August 8, 2010

UFC 117(afterthoughts)



I admit that I was late in tuning into this fight. I was on my way home(I was somewhere in Makati, near Dela Rosa ST to be exact)when Junior Dos Santos and Roy Nelson were goin' at it.

When I got home, Stefan "The Skyscraper" Struve was battling Christian Morecraft(a UFC newcomer I believe). I didn't really watch it because only the main event mattered to me.

Next fight that I witnessed was between the Thiago Alves-Jon Fitch fight. My money was on Fitch but I was rooting for Alves. Though I knew right from the get-go that Fitch would just grind out another decision victory. Man Jon Fitch is so boring!

Then the main event came. I thought it never would. And it didn't disappoint. In fact, it exceeded expectations! I've been watching MMA now for years and years but this fight really made me say WTF because it really was a WTF moment!

If ya'll recall the Mike Russow-Todd Duffee fight, Russow was bein' schooled 'till he tagged Duffee. That is the epitome of a "come-from-behind win". Well it's the same thing with the Silva-Sonnen fight. Silva was being pounded out for majority of the fight 'till he pulled a rabbit out of his ass in the 5th round.

This fight actually showed to us that Anderson is no Superman and that wrestling is his kryptonite. Sonnen is just too good at wrestling so he's able to dictate to Silva where the fight goes. And Anderson clearly doesn't wanna be on his back. Though his elbows from underneath are pretty effective. The elbows were the reason Sonnen was all busted up after the fight.

And did I already mention that Sonnen clipped Silva twice when they were on their feet? That might be age catching up with Silva. He's beginning to slow down I guess.

The 5th round was more or less the same as what happened during the first 4 rounds. Silva gettin' pounded out and unable to get back on his feet. Then the unbelievable happened. Anderson managed to slap on a triangle choke on Sonnen while he was in full guard. Initially there was confusion because Sonnen seemed to tap, but they were still goin' at it. Referee Josh Rosenthal was trying his best to separate the 2. If he wasn't there to stop the fight, Sonnen would've been caught in another submission. He was actually trapped in an arm bar when the fight was officially stopped.

Sonnen seemed to disagree with the stoppage, but a quick glance at the instant replay proved to him otherwise. For me, that gets the nod for one of the best comebacks of all time, in whatever sport. as the cliche goes, "Never underestimate the heart of a champion". Anderson Silva is not out 'till you put him out!

No comments:

Post a Comment