Friday, January 22, 2010

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus[post-viewing analysis]

This is now my favorite movie of all time! It's not just because Heath Ledger's dead and this is his last film. It's not because it's packed with an all-star cast. It's not because it was created by the same creator that made Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas[Terry Gilliam]. It's beyond that!

This was a psychedelic experience. I underestimated the film with regards to how my mind would react to it. I thought I could handle the film's eccentricities, which I based on the trailer and the insights on the internet prior to the film's release. I was wrong.

I was waiting for this film for like almost 2 years. Ever since the Heath Ledger death broke out, I had gotten wind of this film already. The visuals were stunning. And the storyline? Well to me there's really no storyline. It was only the characters that existed.

And the most important character of 'em all, was of course, none other than Dr. Parnassus. Lirerally, without him, the Imaginarium wouldn't work. He must be in some sort of trance first before you could get away from this normal world.

You know what, I can't really give a good review of this film. I'm literally stumped, and am dealing still with a hangover. Not from alcohol, but I'm still hungover from this film. It shattered a lot of boundaries in how a film should be made. The all-star cast helped out a lot too because of their expertise.

I just encourage everybody to watch this masterpiece, and you be the judge. This is easily a 5 stars out of 5 for me, no doubt about that.

1 comment:

  1. Agree. This is a visual masterpiece.

    And here's an example of the genius of Terry Gilliam: Monty Python animated segment.

    Just in case the hyperlink doesn't work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1BKtrG7qxQ

    ReplyDelete