Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cinemalaya 2010(Short Film Category) - [post-viewing rant]


Thanks to Natalie(Mica's friend and one of the director's "girlfriends"), Mica and I got in for free. We were almost late, but it was all worth it.

First short flick was "Harang(Barriers)" by Mikhail Red. I dunno if he's in any way related to another director named Raymond Red. Honestly, I don't give a fuck because I personally didn't like the flick. It was full of drama or somethin', not my cup 'o tea.

There was also a flaw of some sort during the opening scene, where the camera was just facing the ground while the jeepney was moving on a bumpy road. As the camera was sort of panning along the ground, the shot abruptly transitioned to a shot of the sky. And what's worse, the audio was sorta' cut too! Our director friend Hubert Tibi(the man responsible for our tix I believe) told me that the digital camera can't handle it. But I think that it was just lousy editing. But I dunno, maybe Mr. Red really intended it to be that way. We'll never know.

The second flick was by Hubert himself entitled "Hay Pinhod Oh Ya Scooter(I Want To Have A Bicycle)"[bicycle should be scooter IMO] and it was pretty good. It was spoken in a Banaue dialect, and was narrated by an Englishman I believe(I could detect the accent). I liked many parts of it. Tomas spoke in a cute way every time he says the word "scooter". Miley Cyrus was also a resounding figure in the flick. And I fuckin' knew that it was marijuana that the kid protagonist(I can't recall the exact name of the kid, sorry)was feeding Pukok the pig.

"Lola" by Joey Agbayani was also a novelty to watch. The animation though wasn't up to par with Pixar or anything like that. But you can see the effort. Though we still have a loooong way to go. In any case, I don't really know if the director was gay, a butch girl or whatnot. I'm just fuckin' confused, but it was kinda funny.

The short flick that stole the show was entitled "P" by Rommel Tolentino. It was funny and the main protagonist was pretty good in his acting. I kinda' saw myself in him when I was a li'l kid. I can't really describe the flick because one has to watch this shit to know what the fuck I'm talking about.

"Wag Kang Titingin" by Pam Miras was pretty so-so. The video quality was grainy. I don't know what camera was used to shoot that short film, but it was kinda' crappy. Though the li'l girl who was in it was cute. I actually met the kid after the show and gave her a high 5.

After that, we downed some beer. And the rest was history...

No comments:

Post a Comment