Friday, July 30, 2010

The Sorcerer's Apprentice(post-movie rant)


I didn't see this flick because it was from Walt Disney Studios. I didn't see it because it was produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. I didn't see it because I became fully aware of Nicolas Cage's Hollywood presence during Face-Off and has watched quite a lot of his films ever since. I saw it because of Alfred Molina. Call me weird, but I'm a big fan.

Taking all seriousness aside, this film helped me relax on a Friday night(which is a rarity these days). You can count on the money well spent on the effects and stuff because of Jerry B's production shit. Plus Disney animators also had a hand. But special effects don't shock me anymore that much nowadays. Everybody's doin' it(even here, though it's all crappy animation), but I'm just appreciating it. Love eye candies, in any form!

Seems like Disney's cashing in by making a perfectly timed product placement at the beginning of the movie. They just threw in a shot of a Buzz Lightyear alarm clock buzzing David Stittler(Jay Baruchel) awake back in the day(sometime in the year 2000). Clever Disney eh...

Thanks to Nicolas Cage's long hair, he nicely pulled off the Balthazar Blake wizard role. I was waiting for him to drop one of his funny one-liners(like the ones in Bangkok Dangerous) all night long.

Monica Belluci still looks just as old(or as young I should say) as when she was the Merovingian's wife in Matrix Reloaded. Man those Italian cougars sure could be waxing hot!

David(Baruchel) really looks like a nerdy geek. He doesn't look like the Grand Merlinian at all. But kudos to him because he performed one of the song's of the film's OST(caught it during the credits) entitled "I'm Awesome" or something. Good to see One Republic and Jimmy Eat World on the OST too.

Maxim Horvath(Alfred Molina) isn't really trying to be funny(I bet he's seriously trying to be evil, like Doc Ock), but seems that way especially when teamed up with the Criss Angel like magician in the film named Drake Stone(Toby Kebbell). The Star Wars reference really made me laugh. Horvath did a hypnotic mind trick to this front desk person at David's school by saying, "You do not need to see my identification card" when Drake suddenly blurted out, "These are not the droids you're looking for"[Obi-Wan Kenobi tricking a Storm Trooper into not checking R2D2 and C3PO]. Now that may be nothing to you guys, but that shit's hilarious for a Star Wars addict like me.

Teresa Palmer(Becky Barnes in the flick) looks like a so-so actress with promising potential. If there's such a thing, that's her.

All in all, I rate this flick 3.5 out of 5. Thank Alfred Molina and friends for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment