Tuesday, March 30, 2010

UFC 111 (post-fight rant)


The card delivered, though boringly. Boring in a sense that these wrestlers need to be more dynamic and exciting. As an old school boxing fan, I always want fights to end in spectacular fashion.

The first fight was all good between Jim Miller and Mark Bocek. Even though it ended in a decision, it was all scrappy and technical. Unlike the one-sided wrestling beat downs from GSP and Fitch.

Next fight I remembered watching was the Saunders-Fitch match, which was supposed to be the Saunders-Ellenberger bout, or Fitch-Alves fight. Alves would apparently need minor brain surgery (but for me, anytime they would cut my melon up would be major) for some ailment of his. Now Saunders was looking for better competition. So they scrapped poor Ellenberger from the card.

Unfortunately for Saunders, Fitch was just a level or two above him. Up a level or two in wrestling that is, because that's what he did. He wrestled his way to a unanimous decision win.

Next stop was Kurt "Batman" Pellegrino VS somethin'-somethin' Camoes (I forgot the first name). Of course I picked Batman to win, because I liked his moniker ever since, and because I really didn't know much about this Camoes kid. Though I've watched this kid once, which was his octagon debut. Batman won, though he almost got submitted.

The co-main event was more or less the fight that I was looking forward to. That's because the Mir-Carwin fight had more at stake than the GSP-Hardy fight. It's the co-main event's outcome that will determine who gets first dibs at Lesnar for the real heavyweight belt. What the winner (Carwin) got was just for interim purposes. You have to beat Brock to be the real deal. And for now, I think only Fedor has the tools to beat this freak of nature. I even think that it's a toss-up between these 2 heavyweights.

Just as I’ve predicted (I’ve predicted all of the main cards correctly mind you, though I was rooting for Hardy so bad), Carwin ended the fight via TKO with his cinderblocks for fists. Now if Murr (Mir) can’t beat Carwin, then how the fuck is he gonna beat Lesnar?!?

The main event was just the cherry on top. This fight showed us how technically superior GSP was to all the rest of the division. It also showed us how the Brits are, Hardy in particular. The man can’t be submitted! GSP already had an armbar in the 2nd round I think, and even slapped on a kimura in like the 4th or 5th, but Hardy was just made of rubber. The Brit was like a Gracie in that he wouldn’t tap. He literally doesn’t know the meaning of tapout!

But the boring part once again, was GSP’s employment of that ever-present fighting art, wrestling. Although GSP’s trying to end the fight by throwing subs, he couldn’t do any significant damage to Dan Hardy’s cheeky, smirking face. Hardy’s just a sneaky bastard, is all I can say after this event.

What’s in store for GSP next? He’s either gonna face the winner of Fitch-Koscheck (if those AKA fags do fight), or he should just move up to middleweight. I want him to move up because he has practically cleaned out the entire welterweight division!

No comments:

Post a Comment