Thursday, February 18, 2010

Invictus[post-viewing afterthoughts]

We were supposed to watch Dear John(which is the number 1 highest grossing film this week, surpassing the Juggernaut that is Avatar). Somehow, the money was funneled into being used for purchasing Invictus tickets instead. And I wasn't disappointed. I love films which depict reality. And this story really happened.

'Invictus' seems such a strong word. But it's just a poem that Nelson Mandela used to read when he was in prison. If it wasn't for the movie, I wouldn't know that Mandela was imprisoned for 27 years or somethin'! That's my fuckin' age man! I was already bitchin' and moanin' when I was locked up in prison for a measly 3 hrs!

Morgan Freeman was the usual Morgan Freeman here(just like always). I understand that he was tryin' his best to imitate Mandela's accent. Good effort. At least he doesn't have his Freeman accent.

Matt Damon's South African accent, together with his buffed up, rugby player physique was perfectly fitting for his role. And his typical American looks have all vanished. I swear he looked like a Brit-African or an Aussie in this flick.

There's only one quote that really got stuck in my head. It's a quote comparing football and rugby. It goes like, "Football is a gentleman's game played by hooligans. Rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen."

No comments:

Post a Comment