Saturday, February 13, 2010

Rakestra 2010

This is the event's name last Friday at the UP Diliman fairgrounds. Nothin' special to it. I didn't find the lineup impressive too, not 'till I saw Markus Highway. That's because I only go watch either Pupil, Kapatid, and Markus Highway. So it was kind of a relief to at least find Markus Highway in the lineup.

Like the crappy UFC cards, this fair event looked weak on paper(because of the lineup). But just like the crappy UFC cards, it delivered! I guess I stuck long enough after Markus Highway played to know that it really did deliver!

As usual, I went in via backstage(been doin' it for the last five years). I thought I had no chance of gettin' in because I didn't know any bands there. Good thing though that I saw the band Boy Elroy lined up. These guys are high school friends of mine. So I decided that I'll just use their name as an excuse to get in.

My friend Ryan and girlfriend Mica, plus her cousin Ycah, also managed to get in backstage, but they went in with the metal band Sin. Lucky for them because they really didn't know a single member of that band. All said, we managed to save Php 360(the price of an entrance ticket was Php 90). In this struggling economy, we need all the freebies we could get.

I didn't really get to watch Boy Elroy play. They were done when I came in. So the gatekeeper said, "Hey, Boy Elroy's done!"[Tapos na Boy Elroy ah!]. So I just replied, "I know. I'm late."[Alam ko. Late ako eh.]. So they let me in. My acting's good enough to garner an entrance.

Markus Highway as usual, played that song that "rock'n rolled"! I also liked their rendition of "Wild Thing" with Romeo Lee doin' the vocal chores.

Now I thought it makes no sense sticking around to watch any longer. Good thing Ryan told me to stick around, because he wanted to watch Moonstar 88. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be able to see the other up and comers. Especially Even, the band that recently won the Red Horse Muziklaban. For a new band to emerge, they sound pretty tight and good!! Waaay better than the last couple of winners, like Mayonnaise or some of the other mediocre ones.

I've actually heard about Even prior to this gig. But I just didn't realize they sounded this good! A mixture of progressive rock, metal, and some psychedelics too! That's how good they are!

Then of course, I was once again amused at Kamikazee's antics. Masturbating the mic and shit. But I really laughed out loud at Jay gulping all the smoke from the smoke machine, and blowing it like a hippy addict or somethin. He somehow ended up in boxers after their performance.

But the biggest surprise of all, when it came to band members, was this new band named Franco. I even saw this dude[James] from our subdivision who worked as a PA for both Franco and Moonstar88. But anyway, Franco was literally an all-star lineup! I only don't know the backgrounds of their vocalist and drummer. But their lead guitarist was the vocalist of Urban Dub, the other guitarist was 8 from Cheese(or Queso), and Buwi, Parokya Ni Edgar's bassist. Prett heavy ain't it?!?

I just wanna say somethin' about this surreal experience I had with the vocalist of Moonstar88. She's the new vocalist, their 3rd one so far[1st was Kitchie Nadal, and the 2nd one I can't remember]. While I was watchin' Kamikazee, I just happened to look towards her direction because she was happening to sit on the spot where James[that PA who lived near our house]was standing at. Then I happened to see that new vocalist staring at me!

Now I ain't handsome or whatever, but what the fuck's a hot, pretty woman doin', staring at me like that?!? Am I that ugly?!? Anyway, there we were, starin' at each other for like a total of 3.5 seconds. Then I turned to look away, because Mica was with me. She might slap me in the face when she finds out I've been ogling at chicks while her back was turned. Hehehe!

Well that sums it up. My Rakestra experience. See you guys next year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment