Tuesday, February 9, 2010

UFC 109[afterthoughts]

This was actually due almost 3 days ago, but I was just feelin' lazy. Now that I am reading MMAMania.com(I highly recommend this website, the best among MMA sites. Guaranteed! Sherdog and Bloody Elbow don't even compare!), my (almost daily) newspaper, I feel pumped up again about what happened last Sunday(Saturday night in the US).

Let me start of by sayin' that this once again looked like a weak-assed card. Who wants to see 2 old men fighting? The only thing that sells the Couture-Coleman fight is the fact that they are both UFC Hall Of Famers. This fight should have happened 10 years ago!

The only fight that I was really looking forward to was the Paulo Thiago-Mike Swick fight. Man I hate Swick! Good thing he lost to my boy Dan Hardy. And I just want to prove that Paulo Thiago's win over Koscheck was no fluke! That's why I was screaming when Thiago clipped Swick. The only thing lacking was someone shouting "Timbeeeeeer!". If it wasn't for the Jon Fitch loss, Paulo would've sweeped American Kickboxing Academy clean! But for the now the record is Paulo-2, AKA-1.

Kudos to Demian Maia for showing improved stand-up. So improved that he was able to hold his own against the much more well-rounded Dan Miller. Well not just hold his own, he owned the crispier strikes between the 2. He was also pushing forward, hence aggression. I guess that's what training your striking with Wanderlei Silva does! It's just new to me that Maia won via decision because he always wins via submission.

On the other hand, it's also new to me that Randy Couture submitted Mark Coleman. I expected a unanimous decision victory from Captain America. I was thinking that he would just lay-and-pray and dry hump Coleman all night long, and vice-versa. Both have wrestling pedigrees, and they wanna show which brand of wrestling is more effective. Randy Couture's Greco-Roman or The Hammer's freestyle wrestling base. Seems like Greco-Roman + dirty boxing reigns!

No comments:

Post a Comment